Sunday 23 May 2010

Iceland Volcano - Sign of the End?

I just saw a documentary on SBS TV about a volcanic erruption in Iceland in 1783. It lasted 8 months. 80% of Iceland's sheep died. 50% of cattle died. The atmosphere became poisoned all over Europe. It even caused the worst famine in faraway Japan. An estimated 2 million people died worldwide. 2 million! It was the worst volcano in recorded history. But it wasn't the end of the world. That was 227 years ago.

This year 2010 we saw another volcano in Iceland. This time no sheep died. No cattle died. No famines were caused. There was no damage to property. No-one died - not one. But preachers were alarmed, calling it a sign that we were in the last hours of the last days. They called it an escalation of end-times signs. The Internet was a-flurry with end-times warnings. Some Christians in America started storing food for the last days.

Lol! Amazing - an Icelandic volcano causing 2 million deaths was not a sign of the end of the world, but another Icelandic volcano causing zero deaths is a sign of the end. Only modern end-timers - lol!

I'd like to start telling end-times jokes instead of Irish jokes - but the difference is, Irish people can take the joke and laugh at themselves, but end-timers get furious! They react as if you've just blasphemed. I reckon they'd just about have you tried for heresy and treason if they could!

When I asked a preacher a few months ago why the erruption was a sign of the end, I was called a scoffer. I was told I must be blind. I was unfriended on Facebook. One person invoked Yaweh to rebuke me. That was only three months ago yet we've nearly forgotten the volcano already.

You can see the funny side can't you? It doesn't mean I don't like end-timers - I know they've got darling hearts. It's just funny! Don't you think? Zero deaths vs 2 million deaths. At least the Irish can laugh at themselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment