Monday 31 August 2015

Prayer

Prayer. 

What matters is not so much how long we pray, but that we do a definite transaction with God and actually get something. 

Smith Wigglesworth reportedly said once, "I can get more out of believing God for one minute than I can by shouting at Him all night".

So the important thing after praying is that you know you got something - because then you'll have it.

Years ago seven or so friends and I decided to go to the cliff at North Burleigh beach to have a prayer time together. While we worshipped the Lord that night, one of the guys prophesied that God was inviting us to ask whatever we will.

I said to my friends, "Let's discuss what we're going to ask - and Jesus said that if two of you shall agree on earth as touching any thing that they shall ask, it shall be done for them of my Father which is in heaven- so let's ask something substantial".

No-one said anything, so I suggested, "Let's ask God to give us a real love for one another; and let's ask God to send new guys - let's tell God if He sends them we'll love them; and let's ask God that this will influence our whole church and characterise the church."

We each agreed. 

"You send 'em - we'll love them," we said to the Lord, while we looked out over the Pacific Ocean towards the city lights of Surfers Paradise.

From that night on a real love developed between each of us - and God kept sending new guys along. 

(Some of the stories of where the guys came from and how they came to be with us are amazing! They came; they were Overwhelmed with love and with the manifest Spirit of God; they got saved, became disciples - and some even become missionaries, evangelists, and pastors. And people started remarking about it.

"Why are there always so many young men getting saved at your church?" someone asked.

I just remember back to that night on North Burleigh hill when God invited us to ask - and we only asked once - but the answer is ongoing.

See sometimes after someone has prayed I ask them, "Well what did you get?" 

Or I ask, "Did you get it?" 

And they'll answer, "Oh I sure hope something happens".

No - it's better to be definite about what you desire, deliberate about asking, and decisive about receiving - because then you'll have it.

That beats just praying!


"...ask what ye will, and it shall be done unto you. Herein is my Father glorified, that ye bear much fruit; so shall ye be my disciples" (John 15:7,8).

No comments:

Post a Comment