Friday 1 February 2019

All Night Prayer Meeting

One day I was downtown with a pastor, and we heard the sound of singing, coming from a building.
So we looked inside - it was a church group. They were having an all-night prayer meeting.
The leaders welcomed us to stay, and invited me to take about 40 minutes to minister.
When I stood to speak, I said "Instead of me talking for the whole 40 minutes, would it be okay if I only speak for 20 minutes, and then we give the rest of the time to the Holy Spirit?"
I spoke on the topic of How to experience a fresh move of the Holy Spirit in our meetings.
And then, after I'd spoken about it, we invited the Holy Spirit to have the rest of the time.
Without any music or singing, the congregation spontaneously got filled with the Holy Spirit, and with joy - and laughter!
The allocated time went so quickly - I handed the meeting back, and the person who'd been appointed to lead the rest of the prayer-meeting dutifully took her position.
She had a list of things to do. I felt it might be good though if what was happening would be allowed to continue longer. So I was silently praying for her.
She could hardly begin to speak. Finally she managed to say:
"I was supposed to pray for our musicians, that they will be anointed - but they've already been anointed!
I was supposed to pray for our church, that we will experience a fresh touch of the Holy Spirit - but we've all just experienced a fresh move of the Holy Spirit!
So I think there's nothing left for us to do than to just continue thanking and praising the Lord!"
And so the whole church continued being filled with the Spirit and with joy - for the rest of the night! And beyond that night too.
Sometimes it's not just a matter of praying for it, nor of having extended music and singing. As good as those things are, and as much as there's a time for it, they can also override other things you desire to see happen in a meeting.
Just really give the Holy Spirit the time - and you'll find all your desires fulfilled.
"And it shall come to pass, that before they call, I will answer..." (Isaiah 65:24).

No comments:

Post a Comment