Sunday 18 August 2019

Letter from Percy Mole

I once asked Percy Mole to write a history of CLC Ipswich as he saw it. This was his reply, written several years ago now.

To John Beloved:

Greetings in the grace and love of Him whom God hath made both Lord and Christ, "Our Lord Jesus Christ".

I am somewhat in fear and trembling re your request concerning CLC Ipswich - as there is so much background as expected in God's dealings with us individually, as you have also experienced - so I must condense as much as possible and endeavour to leave out the I's and me's and concentrate on the He's and Him's - our Saviour.

Saved in my early teens (Eudlo) near Nambour - never had any real fellowship until after the War discharge 1946.  Two years of severe dermatitis from Army life in the tropics - unable to work, and with a young wife and two boys - through circumstances - we housed in mum's garage, Holmes Street North Ipswich - entered Q.G.R. North Ipswich shops - March 1948 - eventually moving upstairs after Mum's boarder moved out - next door was brother Frank Martin - who I could hear playing piano and singing hymns and choruses to the dislike of his family but he was unstoppable!   He by bike went each Sunday into Ipswich and went by train to the Apostolic Assembly - Valley, Brisbane established by my life-changing and dearest friend and a spiritual father - Pastor Bill Hawkins - this is the foundation of all that was to be laid in my life, that eventuated with the intro to CLC later on.  Pastor Bill gave me my first platform/ministry opportunities - as I also went weekly by train (sometimes walking to the station - no buses) in company with Tom Morris (Dave's father), Frank Martin and Percy Spall when we prayed and sang our way to and fro - glory days.  I had by God's grace, been accepted as an elder apt to teach - after Pastor Hawkings was transferred to Burnie Tasmania - my acceptance by the people as to ministry was more honoured than the new Pastor and of course - no-one benefits from such a situation.  I and my two young boys went to Burnie, where I was speaker at the Christmas convention 1955.  After being redundant in Brisbane Pastor Herschell who began an AOG work Ipswich post-war - begged of me to gather with him at Ipswich - after similar experience with this pastor and some who followed - I refused to lead a breakaway group on two occasions - one at what was to become the AOG Robertson Road.  Outcome = the 60s I had a wilderness experience for a decade - until God dealt with a heavy hand upon me - a lot of consequences of my lapse needed correction (excuse my non-detailing of events) - but I knew God was giving me a final call in His mercy and based on the Scripture - Ephesians 3 - in particular verses 8-10.

In the early 70s I renewed fellowship with the AOG Pastor Alcorn this time June my wife supported me - for the first time.  Pastor Alcorn, I honour as one who never showed any envy to me of the acceptability of my ministry and wanted me to be his assistant - giving me a free hand with all bible studies and most of the morning meetings.  It was around this time that Pastor Hawkins returned to Queensland and joined with Pastor Chandler - CLC. 

I am unsure of the exact sequences - but through Friday night prayer meetings in our home Bundamba - I came into contact with John van Kempen and some others who went to CLC Brisbane from Ipswich.  This laid the seed thought of why not a local fellowship for the Ipswich folk - what stands out in my memory very clearly as a very important event at that time - it was meeting your Dad and Mum at the CLC Brisbane - I still hold that, that was an encouragement to me, that a fellowship would begin in Ipswich, by His grace and enablement. 

After Pastor Alcorn invited me into partnership I had told him I'd pray about it - end result in the back room no 5 Coal Street Bundamba - an inner voice said - you will not fulfill your calling in the place - hence I have never accepted any of the pastoral ministries offer me, as I understood that office was not for me.  Pastor Chandler never had a vision for Ipswich and did not want any draining of Ipswich folk from Brisbane - but God has prevailed - I attended monthly meets in Brisbane and though holding no "office", was accepted there by such as Pastor Klimionoch - Taylor - Lewis - etc, which was good grounding for me and kept me in touch - with Pastor Hawkings - John McEwen - Sid Bunny etc.  Home meetings begun no 5 Coal Street and the Carsons, van Kempens - Hilton Ireland and other - eventually a visit from Pastor Chandler and Hawkings agree to start fellowship in Ipswich resulted.  Pastor Chandler was concerned with the finance side and it was when Brother Ron Edwards and others promised some $4000 the Pastor Chandler - said - "It looks like Ipswich is a goer".

John - in 1974 I was declared unemployable with back and other problems being boarded out in 1976 - but this gave me time and opportunity to seek the Lord for the help and support needed to establish a work for Him - this is where the Edwards families and others - step up as the Joshuas of the time to lead the pilgrims into God's promised and provided provisions.

I feel I have said too much from "me" and how can I say enough about Him - Later Pastor Alcorn said, "Percy - I was against you doing what you did - but now I say - I could not have accomplished what has been accomplished at Brassall."  Your dad played a major role in what was the foundation - now others are responsible before God of building upon it - may all the lives touched in those time stand steadfast - enduring to the end - built up and growing ever in His grace and knowledge.

John I know not how to start and where and when and how to end this attempt to reply to your request.

I am settled in my spirit and assured from what I understand of the prophetic Scriptures - that the time zone for Christ's return is near 2028.  Regardless, the key to holding fast is in personal daily prayer/reading and seeking the leading of the Holy Spirit - Charlotte and I have almost seven years up (end September).  And since 1974 - via Pastor Bill's daily Bible reading programme, has enabled me - with June - now Charlotte to read through the Old Testament once a year and the New Testament twice and being the words of Living Word - ever new - fresh - inspiring and precious.  I have had attacks of pancreas trouble since 2004 and have just been in hospital again and scheduled for a gall operation September 24 St Andrews - at 84 I am not relishing it.  I will write out a couple of items which - are relevant both to me personally as well as in general - I treasure your letter and its blessed encouragement to me - as dew upon the mown grass and as the balm of Gilead and ointment poured forth.

Stand fast dear brother and still be standing when the final bell of the end round sounds and He will raise your hand in sharing the victory and the blessedness of the unborn ages to come - what a privilege what a joy divine - partakers of the Divine Nature to be of His Body - His Church - there is no excelling - for those who in His image rise -

Love in Christ Jesus.

Percy

(August 11th Charlotte is in UK 'till 16th, with family)

No comments:

Post a Comment