Wednesday 16 December 2015

Testimony

I was saved - born again - on this day, 36 years ago.

It was a Sunday night.

The guest-preacher gave an altar-call, and several people were responding, but I couldn't.

While in the throes of decision, the words came to me, "Do you love Me?"

"Of course I love You, Lord!" I thought. How could I not love Him Who first loved me?

But then I remembered a Bible-verse I'd seen as a child in an illustrated tract:

"If ye love me, keep my commandments" (John 14:15).

I realised that if I loved Him, I would become a Christian.

But still I didn't go out. The guest-preacher handed the service over, and took his seat in the congregation.

"Please give me another chance, and I'll go out," I prayed.

Straightaway the guest-preacher stood up, went forward, grabbed the microphone again, and said, " I wouldn't normally do this, but I still feel there's one more person who needs to come. Let's sing that song again, and if that's you - you come".

They sang the song again - but still I didn't go forward.

"Make them sing that song again, and I'll go out," I pleaded with the Lord.

"Let's sing that song again," the preacher said.

Another person went forward, but still I didn't.

"Make them sing that song one more time," I pleaded with the Lord.

"Let's sing that song one more time," the preacher said.

And finally I did it - I went forward.

An elder of our church came to me, and asked what I wanted.

"I want to become a Christian," I said.

He led me in a prayer. I pledged my life to JESUS. My tears flowed.

I felt like a load lifted off my shoulders. All guilt and fear of death were gone. I felt clean - born again!

"This is good - I should have done this ages ago!" I felt.

My father came and gave me a big hug. I remember thinking that dad's hug was somehow symbolic of a hug from our Father in heaven.

It was a balmy Sunday night, between 7:30-7:40pm. After the service our family went for a swim in our relative's pool. As I sat in the water looking at lightening in the distant clouds, I said to my 'aunt' - "I'm not afraid to die anymore."

I knew that if I died that night, I would go straight into the loving arms of JESUS.

How about you?

It's possible to go to church regularly, and yet not have been born again.

"Verily, verily, I say unto thee," Jesus said, "Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God" (John 3:3).

Being born again is more than just a new resolve (although it includes that) - it's something which only God can do for you - something all men desperately need to happen.

And when He's done it for you, believe me - you know it!

Just ask Him for it today, once and forever - and believe:

"...him that cometh to me I will in no wise cast out" (John 6:37).

No comments:

Post a Comment