Thursday 17 January 2008

"A Lot of Fish, John"

I arrived home late one night after being out evangelizing, to find there was no meal left for me in the kitchen. Ordinarily they'd leave some for me - but this time there was nothing leftover. I'd never seen the kitchen so clean.

So for the first time ever since leaving my job and going and serving the Lord some years before - I went to bed without eating.

"But that's okay. If it's good enough for the apostle Paul it's good enough for me," I thought, thinking of the verse:

"...every where and in all things I am instructed both to be full and to be hungry, both to abound and to suffer need...I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me..."

"But if you let this happen to me, I'll always remember it as the first time you let it happen,"
I said to my Lord.

I hadn't quite dozed off to sleep when there was a loud knock on my door.

"Who ever would knock on my door this late at night," I said to myself. I must have been too tired and half asleep to respond, because a few minutes later there was another knock on my door.

"John. John. Daghan isda John!" (John, John, There's a lot of fish, John)

I got up to see that my host-Pastor had been out with our fishermen-friends, and now he had just returned with some of the large catch of fish they received, in answer to prayer. Maybe his maid knew I hadn't eaten yet, for she prepared a late-night meal for me.

Whoever would have thought that God would send someone to my door with a meal, after midnight.

So the one night I thought I was going to go to sleep hungry for the first time, He provided me with not just a meal, but my favorite meal: sutukil - sinugba, tinola, kinilaw (fried fish, fish soup and raw fish - my favorites!)

By the time I lay back down to sleep I didn't know whether to laugh or cry!


No comments:

Post a Comment