Thursday 6 September 2012

The Non-Christians' Home-Meeting

Our local Christian book store once had an all-night clearance sale and it was after midnight when I got to have a look.

As I browsed the shelves, the Holy Spirit impressed upon me by an inner witness to walk around to the next aisle. Though I wasn't sure why, I followed the leading and when I got to the next aisle I noticed another young man perusing the pages of a book: "The Aldersgate Experience of John Wesley." I wondered at what sort of young person would be attracted to such a title.

It was only after we'd begun to talk that we recognized each other. "You came to the shipping office where I worked. Do you remember handing me that bit of paper?"

He reminded me that about a year before, I was at Union Bulkships handing over a Bill of Lading to collect a delivery order when their computers temporarily went down. While we waited, I began sharing Jesus with him, then the computers came on again, so I collected my papers and had to go, but not before giving him a Gospel tract that my friend Paul Murphy and I had written: "Break Free," which included the testimony of our friend Paul Chan and a prayer for salvation.

That night in the bookstore he went on to tell me: "After you left my office that day, I read that pamphlet you gave me and I thought to myself, 'This is what I've been looking for."

Then when I got home I rang up my friends who I used to do drugs with and said, "Come around here and read this pamphlet – I think I've found what we've been looking for."

My friends came around and when they read it, they said: "Yep. This is what we've been looking for."

We agreed we had to find a church service to go to. So we grabbed the Courier Mail and looked-up the ads for the churches, and ended-up at Mansfield Christian Outreach Centre. That night they had a guest speaker, Helen Ivicevich who began her sermon by riding a Harley in full leathers down the aisle of the church.

That night we all got saved. We kept going to church after that and one by one many of our other friends started coming and gave their hearts to Jesus too. I started a home group which the church called "The non-Christians' home group" because so many of my non-Christian friends, were coming."

I think he said up to thirty had come along so far.

Well I'm so glad I followed the inner leading of the Spirit that night. He just wanted to show me the end of the story!

"Forasmuch as ye know your labour is not in vain in the Lord."

No comments:

Post a Comment