Saturday 5 April 2014

Witnessing at Raceview Shops

Today I had the opportunity to attend a unique children's worship event at Slacks Creek, or a Holy Ghost meeting at Chinchilla. But I didn't feel quite right about either. So I knelt down and asked the Lord what I should do.

I sensed that I should go to the Raceview shops for lunch. But I didn't feel quite right about going straightaway.

I eventually felt right about going. And I felt to do something I wouldn't normally do - I took my Bible with me.

After ordering my lunch, I got talking to an old lady while waiting.  When she saw my Bible, it prompted her to say she had converted from Presbyterianism to the Jehovah's Witnesses a long time ago.

She said mainstream Christianity is wrong because she basically believes there is only one God.

She asked for my Bible. She turned to John 1:1.

She said, "It says, 'The Word was WITH God...' not, '...the Word WAS God' ". 

So I asked her to keep reading. So she kept reading: 

"...and the Word WAS God".

She said it's a mistranslation and should say, "...a god".

But I said, "But there's only one God".

She saw her contradiction.  

I said, "Imagine I'm sick and have only 5min left to live. Tell me what I must do to enter the kingdom of God".

After two minutes of her fumbling for an answer, I interrupted , "I've only got 3min left to live now".

She said, "You would need to study about God".

I said, "But I've only got 2min left to study".

She said, "Well it would depend what sort of life you've lived".

I said, "We've all sinned".

She said, "You can start to serve Jehovah".

I said, "I've only got a minute left".

She said, "No-one can say whether or not Jehovah will admit someone into His kingdom".

I said, "So is there nothing I can or must do?"

She said, "I don't know. I'm not an expert. After we die, Jehovah will give us a second chance to let go of our sins."

Then five minutes was up. So I said, "Now let me say something. Why does the Bible call Jesus the Saviour?"

She said, "Because Jesus was our teacher".

I said, "Let me show you something. Read verse 29."

"Behold the Lamb of God which taketh away the sin of the world".

I said, "God sent Jesus to be the sacrifice for our sins, so we don't have to die. Isn't that beautiful!"

I said, "What's your name?"

She said, "Dorothy".

I said, "So you can read it like this, '...the Lamb of God, who took away Dorothy's sin".

She said, "Do you think I'm a sinner?"

I said, "All have sinned".

She said, "Well He hasn't taken my sins away yet".

I said, "He did, on the cross".

Just to trust Him, is the way to be saved. Even if you've only got five minutes left to live.

Then her son arrived to pick her up. But she left smiling warmly, with appreciation. She'd heard good news to trust in.

May the Lord give her, and others like her, understanding.

No comments:

Post a Comment