Saturday 22 November 2014

Great Conviction

When I was a new Christian, twelve to fourteen years old, I heard that Smith Wigglesworth was on a train once, and someone said to him, "Sir, you convict me of sin". Just by his presence.

I heard Charles Finney visited a factory once, and the workers began to down-tools and repent. Just at the sight of him.

Finney so much as arrived in the outskirts of a town, and many immediately began repenting. Some of them apparently without even knowing Finney had arrived.

When I heard that, I desired it to happen with me. Some years later I specifically asked for it.

One day soon afterwards I had to go to someone's house to discuss a painting-job he'd done for me. We talked briefly about it at his front door, then I left.

As soon as I got home my father told me something amazing that just happened.

He'd just received a phone call from the painter. The painter was looking for me desperately. Dad told him I wasn't home. So the painter asked my dad if he could help.

The painter desperately explained that he had a friend staying with him. When his friend heard him talking to someone at the front door, he came walking towards the door to see who it was. 

But his friend only made it halfway down the hallway when suddenly he was struck down with what he could only describe as a 'heart attack'.

All his friend could explain to him was that he needed to find God - urgently.

His friend was so distraught, but he didn't know how to help him.

His friend said he knew it had something to do with the person who'd just been at the front door.

So he phoned looking for me, in hopes that I might know what he must do to help his friend.

So Dad explained that it was the Holy Spirit convicting his friend to repent and receive Jesus. And Dad instructed the painter how to lead his friend to receive salvation.

I hadn't talked about God at all while I was at the front door. The painter's friend and I never even saw each other!  





No comments:

Post a Comment