Wednesday 26 November 2014

Lasagna

Sydney.

Late morning.

Inner city cafe. 

I really felt like lasagna, but thought I better have something light, so I ordered a cup of soup instead.

While I was sitting at the table sipping the hot soup, the European-looking lady came out from behind the counter and placed a white paper bag on the table in front of me, muttered something in her language, then returned back behind the counter.

I opened it - it was a container of lasagna!

After enjoying nearly half of it, I thought I better not eat too much.  So I determined to find a homeless person outside and give it to him.

As soon as I stepped outside onto the footpath I saw a homeless person scrummaging through a rubbish bin.

I approached him, and while I stretched out my hand to give him the lasagna, suddenly the Lord spoke: 

"Stop. Not him. Walk down the street - you'll find a pedestrian crossing; across the road is a building; behind the building is a park; in the park is a bench; and on the bench you'll see an aboriginal man - give it to him".

I walked down the road and came to a pedestrian crossing.

While crossing the road I thought to myself, This is going to be a good test of whether I'm really hearing from God - seeing I wasn't familiar with the Sydney CBD.

I looked up at the building directly across, walked around the corner - and sure enough there was a park behind it. 

In the park right in front of me was a park-bench - and on it was an aboriginal man.

He was lying down sleeping. I went up to him and stirred him. He woke up looking startled.

"Excuse me, brother," I said, "I'm wondering whether you'd like some steaming hot lasagna - for free".

"Oh yes thanks!" he said, his face changing from startled to eager, as he lifted himself up to a seated position.

While he was eating, I shared Jesus with him.

He's not likely to be unwilling to listen seeing I've given him the lasagna, I thought to myself.

After he finished eating we prayed together - and he gladly received Jesus into his heart. 

No comments:

Post a Comment