Wednesday 17 December 2014

Content with Jesus

I decided to walk the 6.8km to our church's Saturday-morning men's breakfast, instead of driving.


Before leaving the house I did something else I'd never done before - I put my Cebuano New Testament in my back pocket.


Along the way I prayed a prayer of consecration to do the Lord's leading. 


Straightaway I felt led to turn up a side-street.


I saw a woman washing-down a caravan, and stopped to talk.


I soon realised she was from the Philippines. 


She'd only just arrived in Australia, she said.


Turns out she was from a remote part of the Philippines - from a town where I happened to have spent some time many years ago - and she spoke Cebuano.


She expressed how distressed she was - feeling misunderstood and roughly spoken-to by her new husband, vulnerable and alone.


I sought to comfort her. 


I showed her the Cebuano New Testament from my back pocket.


I don't know if she realised what the odds were of her meeting a Cebuano-speaking Australian who'd been to her remote town and who happened to have a Cebuano Bible in his pocket, within days of her arriving in Australia.


But we conversed in Cebuano (as best as I could) - as if that's just what you do on the street in Broadbeach, QLD.


I invited her to our church's Filipino service the following day.


Sunday came - she turned up. The women in the Filipino congregation hugged her and loved her - and our Filipino Pastor at the time prayed with her at the front. 


I can't recall exactly how I got home from the men's breakfast that morning - but it didn't really matter - I felt deeply content with JESUS and His love.

No comments:

Post a Comment