Saturday 20 August 2022

Provision by Saying

by John Edwards

One time I was invited as a guest to preach for three days, in a fairly small church.
The church couldn’t even afford a projector yet for their song-lyrics.
As was customary, an offering was collected in each meeting.
I decided to step out on a limb: I announced by faith that after the three-days of meetings would be over, enough money would come in for the church to buy a projector. And the congregation heard it.
This was in a country and place where it was hard for them to imagine that such a thing could be achievable. I couldn't have afforded it at the time either: not even close. But despite that, I spoke it. I still remember the looks in their eyes, and their body-language when I said it.
The offering that first night was small.
But the next night I again announced confidently: "By the end of these meetings there'll be enough money to buy a new projector".
The offering that second night was just as small as the first night.
On the third and last night, I knew credibility was on the line: but I spoke the same thing again.
But the offering was again small - hardly even a start towards the church being able to afford a projector.
I didn't know how it would come about, but I counted it as done.
And the meetings ended.
Just a few days later I was invited to preach a series of meetings at another, large church in the same city. An offering was collected each night, and given to me.
After the first night I straightaway went back to the pastor of the previous church, and handed him the whole offering.
His eyes looked like he'd never seen that much cash in his life before! (I'm not sure I ever had either!)
It all happened to add up nearly exactly to the amount needed for a brand new projector.
So the church got their new projector - by the very next Sunday, I think!
When the congregation came together on Sunday and saw the beautiful new projector, they responded by saying that the new projector deserved newly painted walls.
So at their own volition the congregation straightaway started giving, to buy paint - without the pastor even asking them - and the men painted the church.
Everyone was rejoicing over what was done, and how quickly.
Jesus said:
"...verily I say unto you, That whosoever shall SAY unto this mountain, Be thou removed, and be thou cast into the sea; and shall not doubt in his heart, but shall believe that those things which he SAITH shall come to pass; he shall have whatsoever he SAITH" (Mark 11:23).

Notice it says you shall have whatsoever you SAY: not what you just desire, or what you just ask and pray for, or even what you just believe - but what you also SAY. 

No comments:

Post a Comment