Saturday 20 August 2022

The Story Bridge, Brisbane

by John Edwards

Years ago I routinely drove along Queen Street, off Eagle Street, Brisbane twice a day on my way to the Customs office at the international Airport, as part of my job at the time.
But one day I felt led to go up Wharf Street then right onto Adelaide Street instead, and meet up with Queen Street that way.
It was only an extra 50 metres at most - and it was the only time in six years I can ever remember taking that little detour: I can’t distinctly remember doing so before nor since - only on that day.
As I did so I happened to see an old High School friend walking along the footpath on Adelaide Street.
He’d often heard me sharing the gospel, but it had been such a long time since I’d seen him - and I realised he must have been the reason why the Lord had led me to go that way. So I pulled over for a quick chat.
“I was on my way to jump off the Story Bridge,” he told me - just some 900 metres up the road.
Today, all these years later my good friend is married, going to church, and every now and then Messages me with delightful videos of their little children - and recently he told me they’ve had the joy of seeing his wife’s family come to the Lord too!
“…thine ears shall hear a word behind thee, saying, This is the way, walk ye in it, when ye turn to the right hand, and when ye turn to the left” (Isaiah 30:21).

No comments:

Post a Comment