Saturday 20 August 2022

Supplication in the Spirit

by John Edwards

I remember hearing a recording of Kenneth E. Hagin sharing about how, decades beforehand, he'd felt burdened to pray that certain gifts of the Holy Spirit would come into manifestation more in the body of Christ around the world.
In those days he often found himself waking-up during the night - he'd get up, go into the spare room I think (probably so he wouldn't wake his wife up), and pray in other tongues - sometimes until nearly daylight, if I remember correctly.
After a few months of doing that, one night "I hit a gusher!" brother Hagin said. In the spirit it was like he'd struck water - and not just water, but a real fountain!
When you're in the Spirit you sometimes just know it when you’ve received the result of your petition or intercession. And sometimes it's even like you get a personal foretaste of what God is about to pour out onto many.
When I heard that, I realised that the timing of brother Hagin hitting that gusher, after that season of him praying with supplication in the Spirit, likely coincided with the beginning of the so-called Voice of Healing movement or of the Latter Rain movement/Charismatic renewal.
Those movements saw the 'gifts of healing', and the 'working of miracles' - plus 'tongues', the 'intepretation of tongues', 'prophecy' the 'discerning of spirits' - really, all the gifts of the Spirit: the 'word of wisdom', the 'word of knowledge', and 'faith' - come into increased manifestation across the globe (see I Corinthians 12:8-10).
Great Bible-teaching came with it too - plus evangelism, and new waves of world-missions.
No doubt others had been hungering and thirsting, and praying with supplication for this too, around that time.
Spending time praying in tongues is a great way to pray and make supplication in the Spirit.
"Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me, the works that I do shall he do also; and greater works than these shall he do; because I go unto my Father.
And whatsoever ye shall ask in my name, that will I do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son.
If ye shall ask any thing in my name, I will do it" (John 14:12-14).
"If ye abide in me, and my words abide in you, ye shall ask what ye will, and it shall be done unto you.
Herein is my Father glorified, that ye bear much fruit; so shall ye be my disciples" (John 15:7,8).
"Praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, and watching thereunto with all perseverance and supplication for all saints;
And for me, that utterance may be given unto me, that I may open my mouth boldly, to make known the mystery of the gospel" (Ephesians 6:18).

No comments:

Post a Comment