Thursday 8 May 2014

A Friend

One of the most difficult places to witness to Christ, I found, was in the office at work. Witnessing at school, or at lunchtime, or in the shopping mall, or in the streets, or in other offices and job sites I visited, or in home meetings, youth groups, churches or crusades was quite a bit easier. But the staid atmosphere of the office made it feel awkward. I had a Christian boss, but I was the only Christian in our open-section of the office, and I was the youngest person there.

So one day I told the Lord how I was finding it hard to witness at work, and I prayed, "Lord, please give me a friend who can spur me on - and whom I can also spur on."

Very soon after that, our receptionist came hurriedly out of the boss's office in tears, picked up her bag and left - and never came back again. So our company had to advertise for a new receptionist.

Amongst all the females who applied, one male turned-up for an interview. I thought that was amusing. And our bosses decide to give him the job, thinking if they gave the job to a male, it might cut down on some of the talking that went on amongst the women in the office.

But he turned-out to be a real joker. One day he phoned my desk pretending to be a warehouse clerk informing me that they had a package I needed to come and pick up. So I picked up my keys, and on my way out, on my way past our receptionists' desk, I told him where I had to go. I saw a grin on his face, which let me know it was only him.

He wanted to have lunch with me, but I didn't want friendship with a non-Christian to get in the way of my commitment to going witnessing in Queen Street mall during my lunch break. But he said, "Oh you're boring!" So I decided if I have lunch with him, I might be able to witness to him.

One Sunday he came to church. He arrived just as the offering was being taken up. And he walked out and left soon afterwards. The next day at work he said, "I've seen that guy on TV. All they want is your money!" I felt quite discouraged.

But the next week, he came to our house, then came to church again. This time he stayed the whole service. But he didn't become a Christian.

He was really impressed with our family-life. One day at lunch time at work, a Christian friend from my high school days came and had lunch with us both in the mall, and he bought my workmate a drink of orange juice. My workmate was surprised by this act of kindness.

One day we walked into an Alcoholics Anonymous meeting, not knowing what it was. I heard each person introduce themselves, saying, "My name is _____, and I am an alcoholic. But I haven't had a drink for _____ years." Everyone had the same introduction.

The leader asked if anyone else wanted to speak. So I stood up and said, "My name is John, and I've never been an alcoholic. I've never been drunk in my life. As I've been listening to each of you today, I've heard each of you say, "I am an alcoholic..." Alcoholism is caused by a demon. When you ask Jesus into your life, the demon of alcoholism will leave, and then you'll be able to say, "My name is _____, and I was an alcoholic."

My workmate was thrilled with my boldness.

I remember sitting down with him at lunchtime, sharing the word of God. I happened to mention that I'd been praying for him. It impressed him profoundly to hear I'd been praying for him. He told me, "One day I didn't come home until really late, and when I got home, I found that my mother and friends had been worried about me and had been ringing up trying to find me. I felt touched that they cared. And now I'm getting the same feeling."

My pastor at the time asked me, "Do you think Paul will crack?"

The third Sunday he came to church again. It was our pastor's last Sunday before going overseas as a missionary. And my workmate went forward and accepted Jesus!

The next day at work, he had a different glow on his face.

He came on a men's camp, and got baptised with the Holy Spirit and spoke in tongues, and someone nearby got healed.

He got baptised in water.

He started helping with the youth group, and children's church.

Whatever I did, Paul was there to help.

And the friendship continues to this day.

Paul's side of the story is that when he finished high school, he actually prayed, not just for a job, but the right job. He was Catholic.

Then he went to what was then called the CES office (Commonwealth Employment Service) to look for a job. He looked on the board where clerical positions were advertised, but found nothing suitable. Then for some reason he had a feeling that he should look on the other side of the board, where clerical jobs were not usually posted. And there he found our company's advertisement, which must have been in the wrong place. He applied for the job, and got it.


No comments:

Post a Comment