Thursday 8 May 2014

A Job Chosen By God

When I was still a student in high school, I knew I was called to become a full-time missionary - but I also knew I would have to work for some years first.

In those days we often went to the international airport to drop someone off or pick them up from a mission trip. I longed for the day when it would be my turn.

On one of those occasions I saw a door in the terminal, and I saw a man open it and go in. I didn't know what it was. But it looked official - it didn't look like it was for the everyday public.

I said to God, "I know I'm going to have to work for a few years when I leave school before I go into full time ministry. I don't know what that door is for, but whatever it's for, when I leave school, I want to get a job where I get to go through those doors."

When I finally graduated from high school, I stated working full-time in a job which I'd been doing part-time during my last year at school. But I knew it wasn't something I was meant to do permanently, so at the same time I was applying for other jobs. 

Sometimes I would be short-listed for an interview, one time I even ended-up being called back as their second choice, but I wasn't quite landing a job. All of the time I never really felt quite right about the job in my spirit anyway. So I decided to fast for two days.

At the end of the second day, I got a number of phone calls and a number of job offers - and none of them were jobs I'd actually applied for. So then I had a new problem - which job to choose!

This gave me better work, but still I didn't feel quite right about the career-direction it would have taken me.

Then one day the assistant pastor in my church in Ipswich told me that he'd received a phone call from a member of our church in Brisbane, asking if there was a suitable young man in our church who might be available for a job.

So I went for the interview, and the boss said, "Start tomorrow."

The next morning I was shown around my duties. And it involved going through those very doors at the international terminal twice every day! 

No comments:

Post a Comment