Monday 20 November 2017

The Lord's Leading

A couple of times when I've visited a local doctor's surgery, I picked up a Gideon's Bible which was in the waiting-room - it was an ESV, and I quite enjoyed browsing it. So I started to desire to have a copy of my own (even though if I look into it more closely, I might or might not be entirely happy with the translation, but I think it'll be okay for a more casual reading-style, at least), and I quite liked the feel of the Gideon's one.

Then one day I saw one for sale in a Lifeline store, marked $5.00. It had a blue cover, just like the one in the doctor's surgery waiting-room. I asked the store-keeper if I could have a discount, and she replied that there was a half-price sale on all books, so I got it for $2.50 (even though Gideons Bibles aren't really meant to be sold). Nevertheless I kind of knew in my spirit this one wasn't for me, to the point I could never bring myself to really use it. I felt like maybe I was meant to give it to someone.

Soon afterwards a good friend of mine was going to the Philippines for a holiday. His parents have pioneered a church in Manila (and also in other parts of the Philippines). So as much as I liked the Bible myself, I decided to show it to him, and offered to let him take it with him to give to anyone in the Philippines of his own choosing. I slipped a gospel-tract inside the cover, then gift-wrapped it ready to give away. My friend gave it to a young man in the church in Manila - and that person showed his appreciation by posting pictures of the Bible and the tract on Facebook.

The following Sunday when I was thinking of going to my church's evening service as usual, I felt the Lord tell me to linger at home and then He would tell me where to go instead. I ended-up going to Reachout for Christ, at Carrara. After the service I felt led to buy a snack in the church-cafeteria, and while doing so I noticed some lounge chairs arranged around a coffee table, and noticed two Gideons Bibles on the table. I decided to sit there, instead of going to the area where everyone usually hangs-out after the service. I picked up one of the Bibles off the coffee table in front of me to see if they were ESVs, and they were. Then I noticed two more copies beside me. They each had nice red covers, not blue. I felt that was kind of nice, thinking of the precious blood of Jesus. Two of them were shiny red, the other two were a matt red. I was beginning to feel like the Lord had led me to that church that night because He wanted me to have one (as well as because He desired to bless me through a gift of the Spirit which manifested that night, and through the laying on of hands in answer to a desire I'd expressed to the Lord). The lady who'd served me in the cafe came and sat with a friend near where I was sitting - so I asked her whether I could have one. She said yes, and seemed delighted for me to have one. I came home rejoicing, feeling like the Lord is really delighted for me to have this one! Which was free.

LUKE 6:38
Give, and it shall be given unto you; good measure, pressed down, and shaken together, and running over, shall men give into your bosom. For with the same measure that ye mete withal it shall be measured to you again.

1 comment:

  1. If you desire something, and it seems it has come into your hands to have it, but strangely you don't quite feel like it's really yours, or even like you're meant to let someone else have it, do it - follow the Lord's leading. Because just around the corner, the Lord will give you what's really yours. You'll like it better. It will be even better suited. It won't come with the associated costs that the one in your hands comes with. And you'll delight someone else's heart in the process. Win-win.

    ReplyDelete