Friday 3 November 2017

Yahweh and Adonay in Psalm 110:1

PSALM 110:1
A Psalm of David. The LORD said unto my Lord, Sit thou at my right hand, until I make thine enemies thy footstool.

The Hebrew says:

"The Lord [Yah-weh] said unto my Lord [la-ḏō-nî]..."

Yahweh said to Adonay. The first term (Yaweh) is the personal name of God. The second term - Adonay - is also attributed to God. Things are said of Adonay, in the Scriptures, that you wouldn't say of anyone, in the same way, other than God.

Thus, built into Jewish monotheism, is the concept of plurality within the Godhead.

The Yahweh said to my Adonay. Our Adonay is a majestic and beautiful relationship for us - master to servant - carer to beneficiary - provider to the obedient. Just beautiful. There's a high Christology in that. High rights to demand obedience. But also beautiful assurance and comfort. This is our Lord Jesus Christ!

No comments:

Post a Comment