Monday 10 October 2016

Being a Guardian of Your Children

I told my young nephew when he was growing up:
"You'll never be sick a day in your life. You'll never need a filling."
Then one day when he was about 14, I got a text message from him:
"I need a filling."
Apparently the mobile clinic had come to his school, and a dentist told him he needed a filling.
I went for a walk around the lake, to talk to God about it. I'd been saying to my nephew all his life that he'd never need a filling. I dug in and staked myself on the integrity of the word: I would not accept it.
Several more weeks went by, yet my nephew never mentioned it again. So one day I asked him about it.
He thought for a moment - looked like he was trying to remember. Then he told me he didn't need the filling.
I don't know whether the dentist re-examined him and decided he didn't need a filling after all - or maybe my nephew just didn't feel like going back to the dentist!
But he is grown-up now, married and has a son of his own - yet my nephew still has never had a filling.
The first generation in his family never to have needed one!
"...verily I say unto you, That whosoever shall say unto this mountain, Be thou removed, and be thou cast into the sea; and shall not doubt in his heart, but shall believe that those things which he saith shall come to pass; he shall have whatsoever he saith" (Mark 11:23).

No comments:

Post a Comment